Wednesday, May 26, 2010

21st Century Skills

Your reaction to the Web site:
After viewing the website, The Partnership for 21st Century Skills I was very impressed and surprised with it. I knew changes were happening in the education and work environment but I didn't know something like The Partnership for 21st Century Skills was already established. I think it is great to have a national organization trying to change the education system.

What information on the site surprised you?
Honestly, somethings that surprised me were some of the new standards. They didn't seem so new to me. Having students be creative in class or collaborate and problem solve have been going on in classrooms for years....or at least I thought so. I guess the only difference now is that teachers will be held accountable? Which I think it a good thing.

Did you disagree with anything on the site? Explain.
I did not disagree with anything on the site. I think it is a positive effort to get all states on the right track by preparing students for the 21st century.

What are the implications for your students, and for you as a contemporary educator?
The implications for my students and myself are being held accountable for the new standards without the appropriate materials. For example, right now it is very difficult for me to incorporate technology because of lack of resources. So the Information, Media and Technology standard would be difficult for me.

2 comments:

  1. Is your state part of P21? Mine is not, yet we have many of the same standards in our state requirements. I am lucky and have access to a large quantity of technology as do many teachers in my building yet not much of it is utilized.

    Do you think the business world should be held partially responsible for funding technology in schools?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I read the last part of your post concerning being held accountable for the new standards and not having the resources to do so, I completely agreed. Not only that, but what about assessing students in regard to these standards? As teachers, we have been "on the books" with state core curriculum content standards and their assessments. How are we to assess students on these new skills? Where does that fit in? On state standardized tests? Your post made me think about those questions!

    ReplyDelete