Saturday, May 8, 2010

How can I teach without technology?!

I have recently found myself in an interesting predicament - I am stuck in a classroom and school with NO technology. You may find this hard to believe, but I assure you I am not lying. Well, maybe a little. We do have about 20 computers in the library, but can't access them with a class because that's where library is! Also, each teacher has one computer in the classroom, which isn't all it's cracked up to be...I'm not sure it even has a CD-ROM. It may seem odd to you that I am pursuing my Master's degree in Integrating Technology when I can't do much integrating. But it wasn't always this way...

Last year I was placed in a great school to complete my student teaching practicum. A few months into the year, the class received a SMART Board and document camera in addition to the four MAC computers we already had. We were one of two classrooms to have these high tech devices. I quickly embraced the SMART Board and document camera for everything. Walk into my room at anytime of the day and you would either see my students gathered around it or it displaying something for the students to work on at their desks. The resources were abundant and I found myself coming home searching for new lessons and activities - - the extra time was well worth it, given the cheers I would receive from the students when I turned the SMART Board on. This however, was all in the past....

A year later I embark upon a school stuck in the 1990's. Everything is old and outdated. It has been extremely difficult for me to have fallen back in time. At the same time it is invigorating to know how much I have to offer to this school. Without technology I find creating original lessons more tedious and difficult. I often come up with great ideas only to remember I don't have the resources to achieve what I want to. I am often frustrated with my school and myself because I feel completely lost in the classroom without technology.

I would like to create this blog as a starting point for people who may be in a similar situation as me, lack of technology with the overwhelming desire for it. I will be posting ways I have compensated and ways to incorporate technology with limited resources. This may also interest those who are ambivalent to change their old ways and embrace the wonderful world of technology and all it has to offer for our students. Please feel free to post any comments or suggestions.

2 comments:

  1. You have an interesting teaching situation. It is probably time for you to learn how to write proposals for grants. Maybe you can get some classroom technology that way, if you can think of some unique uses for the technology.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah,
    You should be able to use Google's Sketch Up, Geometry Sketch Pad, and Excel to boost your plan. Good Luck!
    Amanda Sheets

    ReplyDelete