Thursday, May 20, 2010

I tried...

Last week I tried to introduce blogs to my class. When I mentioned blogs a few faces lit up. I asked those students what they thought they were. Of course, they start talking about Facebook, MySpace and Twitter. It scares me to think that my sixth graders are so aware and avid users of these social networking sites. I fear they do not completely understand the harm the sites can cause. I decide to talk about that a bit with them.

First I described the difference between social networking sites and blogs. I made it quite clear that we would not be using Facebook in school. Okay- I'm thinking that didn't go so bad. Tomorrow I will get into more detail. I knew I had to explain more what a blog was but I wasn't sure how to do it considering I don't have a projector or SmartBoard..or even a computer lab. So I decided to show a video that I watched for college on blogs. Well, these children hungry for tech in the classroom jumped out of their seats when they saw me wheel in a TV.

For the first time in awhile, I am getting excited from their excitement. I turn the TV on and put the DVD in....nothing. I tried to change the channel, the input, everything, nothing is working. Well, there goes that idea. Then a very smart boy says we can borrow the TV from down the hall. Okay this might work after all. I turn the TV on, put the DVD in and SUCCESS...the DVD menu appears on the screen. Using the remote, I press the down button to get to the third part....nothing happens. Trying to stay calm (I'm really about to throw the TV out the window) I switch the batteries with the TV remote and FINALLY...IT WORKS!

No comments:

Post a Comment