Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Continuing my Game Plan

Are you finding the information and resources you need?
In researching for my Game Plan I am finding valuable information on how to engage my students in Math class. The county pacing guide has been a huge help because I am able to see what concepts my students at an advanced level should be learning in each unit. I am actually finding a lot of resources from my classmates on their blogs. I have already started looking into Google Sketch up and have a student already in mind that would LOVE this program.


•Do you need to modify your action plan?
I feel like I am running into a problem with my time frame for my game plan. I would like to speak with our school based technology teacher to learn more about the hand held responder system to implement in my class. However, she has been extremely busy and overwhelmed (along with the rest of the staff) and finding time to meet with her may be a problem. I was also hoping to have her show me some useful programs that would enhance my teaching. I may need to modify this resource and try to find the information elsewhere.
I also need to make checklists for myself so I can stand on track and be sure I am completing my task for the week.

•What have you learned so far?
So far I have become more acquainted with the standards that I am teaching. I am also learning about new technology programs from that my classmates are sharing on their posts. In addition, I am learning the needs of my 50 math students. I am also learning their personal likes and dislikes which will help me determine what types of projects to create.


•What new questions have arisen?
What other resources can I use to learn about the hand held responders if my technology teacher is not available to teach me?
How often should I use the responders?
How can I assess students working on individual projects?

If anyone has any ideas or unique math programs to share, I am hope to ideas! Thanks :)
Sarah

8 comments:

  1. That is great that you have pacing guides! Unfortunately, we do not, so we have carefully tried to work with the 8th grade teachers and 10th grade teachers to align what the students learn and attempt to avoid overlay. Do you currently have responders? We just got ours this year and we are still exploring their possibilities. We try to use them each day, whenever we are having the students answer assessment prompts. Good Luck with your plan!

    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sarah,
    I really like your thoughtful answers to these important questions. I'd like to share some ways I have helped the teachers I work with to increase their technology use in their math lessons. I'm not sure what equipment you have available, but here are some ideas.

    We have many document projectors. These can be used by you, and students, to demonstrate those math problems that utilize manipulatives. Our lower grades have used it to demonstrate skip counting on number lines, and many other early concepts.

    If your district has access to any type of digital curriculum -we use Compass Learning- it can be very powerful when a lesson is projected to the whole class. It can be paused and discussed as needed and can breathe new life into a tired routine. If you don't have access to such curriculum, you can even use http://www.khanacademy.org/ and use his video in the same way.

    Another idea is to use a digital camera -or phone- and take pictures of buildings for angles, for compare and contrast, and for counting lessons. Groups of people can be photographed -or groups already on the web- for estimation and patterns in nature can be used for lessons on tessellations.

    Good luck and keep up the great work!

    C Serdy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sarah,
    Math is not area of expertise, but while I am looking for sites I will keep you in mind. I know it is difficult to depend on others to meet your goals. It is frustrating to want to hit the ground running but to realize you are slowed to a crawl or a stand still because of scheduling. Try deep breathing, keep trying for the schedule that works, and pat yourself on the back for caring.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah,

    My suggestion about the clickers is to see if someone else in your building knows how to use them, and have them explain the clickers to you. Even if you just got the gist of how they worked well enough that you could experiment with them yourself to figure out all the little details. That's how I work anyway. If you don't have anyone in your building that knows how to use the clickers, see if you can find a video on YouTube that can walk you through how to use them. YouTube is full of goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think all of us wish we had more time to work on our goals. I believe in one way or another all of us had to adapt our timelines some to meet our currently teaching and studying time schedules. It sounds like you did a great job to work on getting back on track. Good luck and hope your technology person in your school can help you out!

    Kimberly Pence

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sarah -
    I'm not sure what grade you teach, but a neat math site that my students refer to often is the online math dictionary : http://www.amathsdictionaryforkids.com/dictionary.html

    One idea that I had was to have students create their own math dictionary by defining & illustrating various math terms as they're being taught and then collaboratively adding them to a class wiki. I love the engagement that comes when students can publish their work in this way - and I think this type of project could be modified to fit almost any grade level. Best of luck - your plan sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sarah,

    Just curious, but are you using the responder system as a means of assessment or review in your classes? One particular way I can tell if my students are lost or do not understand a concept is I usually end class with a closure exercise of sorts and allow them to piece together what we just learned. If the higher learning kids in class don't understand, then I know it's something I will need to go back over the next day and re-teach if need be.

    I do like how you are establishing certain goals to meet and are monitoring them periodically. This is going to allow you to keep track with what priorities you have throughout your GAME plan.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Apotek online lucia apotek

    smärtstillande medicin lucia apotek

    smärtstillande medicin lucia apotek

    köpa sömntabletter lucia apotek

    köpa sömntabletter lucia apotek

    Köp Zolpidem 10mg lucia apotek

    smärtstillande medicin lucia apotek

    köp medicin online lucia apotek

    ReplyDelete