While looking at the ISTE website, I found two standards that I feel I would like to improve on. I have been thinking about this for some time now and I am excited to finally have the opportunity to work towards achieving them. I will be addressing the NETS-T Standard 1, to Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity, and Standard 3 Model Digital-Age Work and Learning.
Goals:
I would like to learn more about how to engage my students in exploring real-world issues and solving authentic problems using digital tools specifically in Math. By doing this I hope to address the diverse needs of my learners in math class by giving them strategies and resources to use. I hope that by incorporating technology into the classroom will help me differentiate my instruction.
Action:
To put forth my GAME plan into action, it will require a lot of preparation work. I will need to consult the professional library at school to see if there are any books on technology integration for advanced learners. I will also utilize the county wide online system of resources to see what units and/or idea are available for me to develop. Finally, I will consult with our school technology specialist to learn more about the programs that are already installed on the school computers and what can be of use to me and my students. Hopefully, all these resources will allow me to create lessons for my students.
Monitor:
There will be two steps in monitoring my game plan. I will need to monitor my progress of obtaining useful information. Once I do have useful information that will allow me to create lessons for my students, I will be monitoring their level of achievement in math, interest, technology skills and independence. It is important that students can use the technology on their own and monitor their progress.
Evaluate:
To evaluate myself through this progress I will be looking for completed lessons. If I am unable to produce lessons, I have to go back put forth different actions. If I am able to produce lessons, I will be evaluating the success of them. To do this, I will be looking at how students are progressing and if they are retaining the information. I will also not their interest level. A big factor in creating these lessons is that they are engaged.
I am hoping this course will help me create lessons for my students who can use technology as a way to extend their learning.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sarah,
ReplyDeleteOne thing I noticed you didn't mention was the use of collaboration with colleagues. Although I am a relatively new teacher, I have gained a great deal with simply talking with my fellow teachers. It's amazing what you can learn from teachers that teach an unrelated course. Great Post!
HI Sarah - I also had the same thought as Daniel - collaboration with others can really be beneficial. I don't know if you're on Twitter, but as crazy as it sounds - I network with teachers from all over and can generally find someone who knows something about what I want to do or learn.
ReplyDeleteAlso - you may find this website beneficial. It's the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) resource page. There are some great online math activities, lessons and links. Hope you find it to be helpful in reaching your GAME plan goals!
http://illuminations.nctm.org/
Hi Sarah,
ReplyDeleteTechnology can really help in differentiating for students. Monitoring students while they are using the technology will help you know if you are successful. I have found that if students are using technology and they are not interested in the site that they are on, they may try to go and find their own, or revert back to something they are comfortable with.
You may want to collaborate with other gifted teachers to see how they are differentiating in their classes for their more advanced learners.
Hi Sarah,
ReplyDeleteI set a goal to help with my differentiating of lessons, assignments, and projects for students as well. One thing that I will begin using this year are "CHOICE" boards, to help give students a choice in the projects and assessments of their learning. I was given this idea through a school professional development class, and hope that as I begin using them - it will help with differentiating based on students different interests and learning styles, while incorporating different technologies in the process.
Sarah, I like everything that you stated about your plan and action. The one recommendation that I have for you is that I would have the students and/or administrator(s), teacher(s) give you feed back about your lessons rather than just yourself. This will give you feedback from more than one source and from different point of views that will make your lessons even better. Nice post.
ReplyDeleteWilliam Primrose
Thank you everyone for your helpful ideas and suggestions. I will definitely take them into consideration and believe it will really help me with my GAME plan.
ReplyDeleteSarah