Sunday, June 27, 2010

Reflection

In what ways has this course helped you to develop your own technology skills as a professional teacher?
During this course I have been exposed to new technologies that I knew existed but never tried using. More specifically I learned how to create a podcast and a wiki. Not only did I create these but I learned the educational benefits of using them in the classroom. Since I created them myself, I understand the steps which will help me to teach the process to my students.

In what ways have you deepened your knowledge of the teaching and learning process?
This course has deepened my knowledge of teaching strengthening the fact not only students learn the same way and technology is a way to reach students on a new level. I was also exposed to a new set of skills, called 21st century skills, that students are expected to graduate with. This has transformed the field of education and required teachers to change their instruction accordingly.

In what ways have you changed your perspective from being teacher-centered to learner-centered?
Technology has allowed vasts amount of information to be available to students at all times. Teachers are no longer the only source of information in the classroom. Students are exposed to information and have the freedom to look things up. For this reason, students can enter the classroom with a greater amount of knowledge then before. This can help guide instruction, which is one of the reasons for teachers to include students in the learning process. Through collaboration and the use of technology, students have the freedom to create projects from start to finish. This involves them in the learning process.

In what ways can you continue to expand your knowledge of learning, teaching, and leading with technology with the aim of increasing student achievement?
I will continue to expand my knowledge or learning and teaching with technology by finishing my Master's degree. I will also continue to receive my RSS feed of other teachers' blogs and read about ideas other educators are using in their classes. I will implement new strategies into my classroom and take assessments to see what is working and what isn't. Lastly, I will seek out professional development through my district.


Set two long-term goals (within two years) for transforming your classroom environment by which you may have to overcome institutional or systemic obstacles in order to achieve them. How do you plan to accomplish these goals?

Within the next two years I would like to accomplish many things. But one big idea is to have my students create a wiki for a project. Ever since I learned about a wiki I have been wanting to use it in my class, but didn't have the opportunity this year. Next year I would like it to be a grade level project. I can foresee there being problems, such as lack of motivation from other teachers or not enough time to complete it. A second goal I have for myself is to incorporate 21st century skills into all my lessons. I will like to have them listed on my plans next to my objectives for the lessons. I believe this will be difficult at first just because it is new, but I believe it will help transform my classroom and provide the most productive education for my students.

Refer to your checklist from Week 1. Have any of your answers changed after completing this course?
When looking back at my checklist from week 1, I noticed a lot of answers changed. The reason they changed was before this course I didn't use technology a lot in my room. Not because I didn't want to but because I didn't have the resources to do. After starting this class I realized that is not an excuse. I created a class blog and even though it was very difficult to explain everything without being able to show them, I did achieve it and the results were great!I began using digital tools to communicate with my students and provide different ways for them to share information.

No comments:

Post a Comment