In reviewing the goals of my GAME plan, I realize I need to do a lot of exploring myself before I can begin to implement anything in my classroom. To meet my goals, I need to explore the database of information through my school district. The math department and advanced academic department post various lessons and ideas for teachers to use. I will also consult the members of the sixth grade (one grade level higher) math team. They may have ideas I can use that could use for my advanced students. Another resource I need to ultilize is our districts new pacing guides. The new pacing guides include the next grade level standards. If a child is showing mastery of their current grade level, I can see what the next grade level standard is.
So far, I have been able to get to know my students and their abilities. We have finished their beginning of the year preassessments and I am beginning to recognize which students may need to have more of a challenge. I have also begun to set up procedures and routines during class. I believe this is important because if students are working on different activities, they need to understand and follow the basic ground rules. They also need to be comfortable with students working in different areas of the room or on different things. I have tried to explain that students will be working on various activities because we all learn differently. I think it is helpful for the students to hear, but also helpful for me, who has a hard time giving up control. I want students to have independent projects but there is a little part of me that is worried I won't be able to monitor their work at all times. But I know if I teach the procedures beforehand, I will be able to trust that they will follow them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sarah,
ReplyDeleteAt the beginning of the year, it is very hard to not only get to know your students and plan meaningful activities for them, but also implement goals related to self-improvement too. I think that your actions so far this year have put you on a great path to ensure that not only will your goals be met, but your students will greatly benefit from all of your expertise. I think that making sure that everyone is aware and proficient in the procedures of the classroom is a great way to maintain control but also give the students creative freedoms to learn at their own pace and in their own way. Keep up the wonderful work!
Thank you for your blog entry!
Elizabeth
Sarah,
ReplyDeleteI like that you are taking time to find out what will be best for you. It is frustrating to dive into something and find out is not working and to have to start all over again. It wastes time, time that teachers do not have a lot of. Keep up the good work and planning!
Kimberly Pence
Sarah,
ReplyDeleteI must admit I have some of the samecontrol issues. I like to do everythinmyself and I like to be able to have the students doing exactly what I want. However, I am learning to be more flexible, as I know it is what is best for the students.
It seems like you have a good start to your GAME plan. It also sounds as hough you havea lot of data to look at. Maybe you want to try to have a friend and colleague help in gong through and studying all of your data.
Melissa Herb
Hi Sarah,
ReplyDeleteI can hear your concern about students working independently. Something that may help you a bit is the development and use of a timeline or checklist of when parts are due. Also you may want to give the students rubrics so they know ahead of time the quality of work that is expected of them. Your head is spinning and you are concerned, making students responsible for their work will help eliminate many little issues. Good luck!
Cris
Sarah,
ReplyDeleteYou are doing a great job of ascertaining the needs of your students through data collection. Perhaps you could include a self-assessment piece since you are concerned about getting to all students. I think self-assessment solidifies the learning for the students.
Amanda Sheets
Sarah,
ReplyDeleteControl is also a big thing for me as well. I worry about my students, who are high schoolers that occasionally act like 5th graders, not doing their work unless I'm standing over them. I can imagine the same is true for 5th graders! I think that it's a great idea for you to look at what the 6th graders are learning, and using those skills to challenge your students.
As for setting up the classroom norms, that is always a first priority of mine as well! Getting the students used to you as a teacher and how you run your classroom is important. Getting the students used to working in different groups would be a big deal, especially if they have never done that before.
I really like how you are starting at home first. What I mean by that is using your district for resources first and then using your teaching cohorts as resources. I have found that teachers with experience are by far the best way to go when you are trying to access useful and valuable information. Getting ideas from other educators is a great way to mix things up and really helps meets the needs and wants of students.
ReplyDelete